The Alternating Words Story
My brother Andrew and I wrote a story entirely by alternating adding words. The story is still unfinished. It is currently unclear whether it will ever be finished.
The rules of the writing process are as follows:
Some commentary on the story:
- Will writes the first word of each chapter; then, the authors take turns adding words.
- Either author can, after adding a word, deem the chapter finished. Then, starting with Andrew, the authors title the chapter by alternating words.
- Punctuation can be added freely by either author.
- Preliminary planning of the story and suggestions to the other author are strongly discouraged.
- The first two chapters are mostly incoherent. The story gets much more comprehensible in chapter 3, and continues doing so until it reaches a stable level of incoherence around chapter 7 or so.
- The footnotes are various disambiguations of more cryptic parts in the early chapters, and were added by me.
- The short story "A Day With Cthulhu and Realtor Jeff" in the first appendix takes place before the main story, but is canon. It is also unfinished.